The procedure of placing dental bridges can be a great solution for someone who has lost or missing teeth and cannot receive implant surgery. Missing teeth can cause problems with speech, chewing, tooth alignment, and facial appearance. A dental bridge does exactly as the name suggests – it bridges the gap of missing teeth. An artificial tooth bridge is created out of porcelain coated metal and then affixed to the surrounding teeth.
The fixed dental bridge procedure is comprised of a several different steps.
- A mold is taken of the patient’s teeth, so the bridge fits as well as possible
- The bridge is created with false teeth made of porcelain coated metal
- The surrounding teeth of the missing tooth, called abutment teeth, are shaped in a way that will allow the bridge to adhere better
- The dental bridge is placed and bonded to abutment teeth
- The abutment teeth then receive crowns to protect them and create an even stronger bond with the bridge
Once a dental bridge has been placed, your dentist will give specific instructions for aftercare. Caring for your dental bridge with a regular oral care routine is vital to ensure durability and longevity and avoid complications.
If you have missing teeth and think dental bridges would suit your needs, make an appointment with Westcliffe Family Dental today to see an experienced dentist.